The Valuer General is responsible for:

  • providing fair and consistent land values for council rating and land tax
  • independently determining the amount of compensation to be paid when privately owned land is compulsorily acquired.

The Valuer General is an independent officer appointed by the Governor of NSW to oversee the NSW valuation system.

Valuation NSW, a division of the Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure, manages the valuation system on behalf of the Valuer General.

Land values

What is land value?

Land value is the market value of the land only, as if it had sold on 1 July in the valuing year. Land value does not include the value of your home or other structures.

Land values are determined under the Valuation of Land Act 1916.

Why is land valued?

Council rating

Land values are one factor that councils use to set rates. We give councils new land values every three years.

Land value increases do not necessarily lead to similar increases in rates. Please contact your council to find out how it sets rates.

Land tax

Revenue NSW uses land values to calculate land tax. We give Revenue NSW new land values each year.

Please contact Revenue NSW on 1300 139 816 or visit revenue.nsw.gov.au for information on land tax.

How can I find my land value?

Your Notice of Valuation

We send you a Notice of Valuation when we give your council new values for rating. The notice shows the land value of your property and other information we have about your property.

Your land tax assessment

Revenue NSW sends registered land tax clients a land tax assessment each year. The assessment notice shows the land value(s) Revenue NSW used to calculate your land tax.


You can find your current and previous land values and land values from across NSW using the NSW land values and property sales map, or by using our land value search facility.

Registered land tax clients can view the land values Revenue NSW used to calculate their land tax at revenue.nsw.gov.au.

Concerned about your land value or property information?

If you think the land value or property information on your Notice of Valuation or land tax assessment is wrong, you can lodge an objection with the Valuer General to have it reviewed.

You have 60 days to lodge an objection. The last date to do this is on the front of your Notice of Valuation. Land tax clients have 60 days from the issue date on their land tax assessment.

Call us

We can help you find your land value or lodge an objection. You can contact us on 1800 110 038.

If you need an interpreter, please call TIS National on 131 450 and ask them to call Valuation NSW on 1800 110 038.

Compulsory acquisitions

What is compulsory acquisition?

The NSW Government can acquire privately owned land for public purposes. The Government acquires most land through negotiation with the landowner.

If the Government and the landowner cannot agree on the amount of compensation the Government should pay for the land, the Government will compulsorily acquire the land.

The NSW Government acquires land under the Land Acquisition (Just Terms Compensation) Act 1991.

What happens when land is compulsorily acquired?

When land is compulsorily acquired, the Valuer General determines the amount of compensation the Government needs to pay the landowner for the land.

The Valuer General is independent and impartial in the compulsory acquisition process. This means that the Valuer General does not act for either the landowner or the Government when determining the compensation amount.

We value your feedback

We encourage you to explore the resources on our website. If you have questions, concerns or feedback, you can contact us at:

1800 110 038
8:30am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday
Valuer General NSW
PO Box 745
Bathurst NSW 2795

Do you need an interpreter?

Please call TIS National on 131 450 and ask them to call Valuation Services on 1800 110 038.

back to top