Lodging an objection

You can lodge an objection online or by post

An objection only applies to one property. If you want to object to multiple properties, you must lodge separate objections for each.

To lodge an objection online, use our objection portal

To lodge by post, you must complete our objection form. We include this form as part of our information kit, which you can get by:

The information kit includes an objection form and important information that you should read before completing this form:

You should supply evidence to support your objection

You should supply evidence to support your objection. If you do not provide supporting evidence we may disallow your objection.

If you believe your land value is too high or too low you should:

  • tell us what you think the land value should be 
  • provide evidence to support the land value you have suggested. 

The best evidence to support your suggested land value will be sales of similar properties from around 1 July in the valuing year. You should give us the addresses, sale dates and details of how each property is or is not like yours.

For more information on the best evidence you can give us to support your objection, see our brochure: Your guide to the Valuer General’s review process.

When we receive your objection, we will check it to ensure you have provided evidence to support your objection, and contact you if we need more information. 

You must object within 60 days

You have 60 days to lodge an objection. The deadline is either:

  • on the front of your Notice of Valuation
  • 60 days from the issue date on your land tax assessment.

We may sometimes accept late objections if you have good reason. If the deadline has passed, you must tell us why your objection is late and give us supporting information. 

Good reasons include:

  • not receiving your Notice or land tax assessment, or receiving them late
  • not owning the property when we issued the Notice of Valuation
  • waiting for information from another government authority. 

We may also consider late objections if, when you received your Notice or assessment, you:

  • were ill or injured
  • had a death, serious illness or injury in your family
  • were overseas or away from home for an extended period.

back to top