Stage 6: Disputes

You can object to the amount of compensation

If you are not satisfied with the compensation the acquiring authority offers you based on the Valuer General’s determination, you can lodge an objection with the Land and Environment Court.

Court proceedings involving claims for compensation are between you and the acquiring authority. If there is a dispute over the amount, the acquiring authority must pay you 90% in advance.

You must lodge your objection within 90 days of receiving the acquiring authority’s compensation notice. If you have not lodged after 90 days, the offer is deemed accepted. However, the court may consider your objection if you have a good reason for lodging late

You can contact the court at:

If you lodge an objection, the acquiring authority will not be bound to pay the amount that the Valuer General determined. It can argue for a lower amount. But you can still accept the original offer until the court rules.

You can appeal a rejected claim

You can appeal to the court if you have not received a compensation notice and your claim for compensation is rejected or taken as rejected.

You must also do this within 90 days of your claim being rejected.

back to top