In 2013 the Valuer General commissioned a study to investigate if the CSG industry is having a material impact on land values in New South Wales. The study examined market evidence (sale prices of properties) in areas of NSW where the CSG industry is present.
The objectives of the study were to assess:
- if the presence of the CSG industry on a property has a material impact on the land value of that property
- if the presence of the CSG industry in a locality has a material impact on the land value of adjoining or surrounding properties
- the prevalence or otherwise of market evidence to support the findings made above
- research undertaken by other states (and where available overseas) on the impact of the CSG industry on land values and policies implemented to address any impact on land values
- whether specific technical guidance is required for the valuation of lands in CSG industry localities.
For a copy of the report see the study on the impact of the coal seam gas industry.
If you require further information on the study please phone the Office of the Valuer General on T: 8258 7446 or E: Feedback@valuergeneral.nsw.gov.au.